A young jackdaw that swallowed a pair of tweezers stretching the full length of its body has “amazed” vets who operated to remove them.

Jackdaw
The jackdaw was cared for at RSPCA Stapeley Grange Wildlife Centre, near Nantwich.

The juvenile was taken to RSPCA Stapeley Grange Wildlife Centre near Nantwich in Cheshire, where x-rays revealed the extent of the problem.

Little fighter

Wildlife vet Bev Panto said: “When I saw the x-rays and the size of the tweezers the bird had swallowed, I thought there was no chance it could survive.

“The tweezers stretched the whole length of its digestive system – right from its crop to its intestines – and the sharp ends were piercing through its skin.

“But, after a challenging and intricate surgery to remove the tweezers via its stomach – and a nail-biting hour watching it recover – the bird proved it was quite the little fighter.

Incredible case

Dr Panto added: “It seems right as rain and has been eating well since. He is hands down the most incredible case and recovery I have seen during my six years as a wildlife vet.

“How a small bird could survive such a traumatic incident, then undergo major surgery and appear fighting fit the next day, is quite incredible.”

Save

Save

View your activity >

Leave a Reply

1 Comment on "Plucky bird survives after swallowing tweezers"

Notify of
avatar

Sort by:   newest | oldest | most voted
Stacie Grannum
Guest
7 months 5 days ago

Great case! Incredible little bird!

wpDiscuz

related content

A vet has called for a working protocol between police and local councils to deal with horse abandonment after putting up £4,000 to track down those who left dying horses in Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire.

8 mins

The RSPCA has released examples of some of the funniest incidents of emergency call-outs for RSPCA inspectors in 2016.

8 mins

Kelly Bowlt Blacklock looks at studies on companion animal wound care, focusing on emerging techniques (part 1/2).

22 mins

RVN Emma Gerrard looks at the common endocrinopathies that present in practice and how nurses can involve their clients in helping to manage these conditions.

27 mins

Hany Elsheikha and Alexander Beech describe an investigation of suspected parasitic infestation in a private fishery and approaches to gathering findings.

34 mins

A dog found dumped has had its sight saved thanks to the skill of vets at the Watkins and Tasker Veterinary Group near Bristol.

5 mins