An oral solution for treating hyperthyroidism in cats has been launched by Norbrook.

Thyronorm Oral Solution for Cats is a liquid alternative to tablets and is licensed for the long-term treatment of feline hyperthyroidism and the stabilisation of hyperthyroidism in cats prior to surgical thyroidectomy.

The flavoured liquid formulation contains 5mg/ml of thiamazole, which is proven to have in vivo bioequivalence to thiamazole-containing tablets.

ThyronormIncreased compliance

It is specifically designed to increase compliance and improve titration ability for precise, accurate management of hyperthyroid cats, while the added honey allows for even greater pet acceptance, thereby helping maintain the pet-owner bond, the company said.

The initial starting dose is 5mg active ingredient per day, ideally split into two doses and made simple with a clearly marked dosing syringe. The syringe is marked in milligrams of active ingredient to ensure accurate dosing depending on the individual pet’s requirement.

Simple solution

Available in 30ml and 100ml bottles, and with an in-use shelf life of six months, Thyronorm provides a simple solution to stabilising hyperthyroid cats prior to surgery or radioiodine therapy – and can provide a solution for owners wanting to continue medication treatment long term.

Thyronorm Oral Solution for Cats is available to order from UK veterinary wholesalers.

View your activity >

15 Comments on "Liquid therapy launched for feline hyperthyroidism"

Notify of

Sort by:   newest | oldest | most voted
Marian Gersh
Marian Gersh
7 months 25 days ago

How much would a 100 ml bottle of Thyronorm cost as this has been recommended for one of my cats by my vet as he has an over active throidgland.

Thanks

Marian

Vet Times
Admin
7 months 24 days ago

We do not know the price of this product. It’s relatively new in the UK and, as such, does not seem to have reached the pages of the online veterinary pharmacies yet. Please refer to your veterinary practice for details.

Ann Bothamley
Ann Bothamley
4 months 2 days ago

My Cat has just started this medicine.The 100ml bottle cost £88 including vat.so it is expensive.It looks like it will last quite a long time

Joanne
Joanne
1 month 1 day ago

I have just started on this medication. The smaller bottle was £30.59. I’ve added it to the cat food and he doesn’t even notice which is great.

Sam Sainsbury
Sam Sainsbury
7 months 14 days ago

Our vet has quoted £90 for 100ml and £37 for 30ml

Karen Deakes
Karen Deakes
6 months 19 days ago

Hi Sam, Google viovet it’s an online pet pharmacy this medication is available there at much cheaper price

Cheryl
Cheryl
4 months 7 days ago

I have just paid £69 from my vet for 100mls

Janis
Janis
6 months 19 days ago

I have found Thyronorm at the price of £19.02 plus postage for 30ml from Viovet.co.uk. A prescription from the vet is required.

Karen deakes
Karen deakes
6 months 19 days ago

You can get a prescription from your vet (they usually charge) and then order the medication online. I used to do this for my dog it worked out a lot cheaper. My cat has just been diagnosed with an over active thyroid so hopefully the online pharmacies will start to stock this liquid soon

Doug
Doug
6 months 3 days ago

has anyone tried putting this on food

Vet Times
Admin
3 months 25 days ago

It is generally suggested this type of product is not added to food. The cat would have to eat all of the food in one sitting to ensure it receives the full dose in a timely fashion.

em poole
em poole
13 days 2 hours ago

yes, I put it on the food and the cat eats it all. I always put a tiny amount of food at first for the dose, to ensure he’s taken it all. Its clearly palatable and makes the whole thing stress-free.The result is good, the cat is less lethargic than on previous medication, fur condition is improved and he generally seems to be enjoying life. Hes17 yrs old and also has arthritis and a kidney problem.9GB5W

Katie Child
Katie Child
4 months 4 days ago

My cat recently swapped from vidalta to thyronorm oral solution, and developed severe anaemia. She was old and may have had a low red blood cell count already, however I would just urge a little caution in giving it to your cat, and perhaps ensure you monitor them closely. Unfortuntely her anaemia was so severe she had to be put down.

Sam
Sam
3 months 17 days ago
I have an elderly cat who was on vidalta, which was a nightmare as she hated the tablets and would often manage to spit them out —- if I was lucky enough to get a tablet into her (a serious fight with her wrapped in a towel). Afterwards she would give me evil looks and disappear!. Vet recommended thyronorm 3 months ago and changed to that. Now my cats jumps onto the kitchen table and sits and waits for it to be sprayed into her mouth! If I leave the kitchen and forget to give her the thyronorm she reminds… Read more »
Tam
Tam
1 month 21 days ago

Sam I have a hyperthyroid, 19-yr old cat, and I crush her morning pill up in a small amount of food. She is hungry and eats it all. Then I give her more food. In the evening I crush the pill up in a small amount again. It seems to work and I’ve had her on the pills for two years. I’m going to check with my vet next week during our visit to see if she can recommend this.

wpDiscuz

related content

Karen Perry describes two new approaches to stabilising the luxated patella in dogs, as well as a new form of subsequent pain relief post-surgery.

20 mins

International Cat Care, the Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund and the RSPCA have come together to raise awareness that breeding cats and rabbits with exaggerated flat faces can cause health and welfare problems.

8 mins

A leading veterinary dermatologist has called for vets to prescribe narrow-spectrum antibiotics for first-line cases of otitis externa to help reduce levels of multiple-resistant, chronic infections.

5 mins

Mini tablets and artificial meat flavourings could be the key to the age-old problem of persuading cats to swallow medication.

4 mins

Total of 19 awards handed out in glittering ceremony to celebrate best in veterinary and animal health marketing.

5 mins

Cat owners on low incomes have benefited from a collaboration between vets, animal welfare organisations and pharmaceutical companies in a charity neutering day.

4 mins