Pet owners are being reminded of the dangers chocolate can pose to dogs by veterinary chain Pets’n’Vets in Glasgow.
The warning was prompted by Ollie, a 15-month-old Chihuahua, who ate an entire chocolate Advent calendar.
Fortunately for Ollie, his owner David Bannigan remembered chocolate was a risk to dogs and sought immediate advice.
Pets’n’Vets partner Ross Allan said: “The important thing for owners to remember is chocolate contains theobromine, which can be a serious danger to dogs.
“Theobromine is a stimulant (similar to caffeine) that is metabolised differently in dogs compared to humans.”
Symptoms of poisoning can include vomiting, diarrhoea, restlessness and, potentially, seizures.
“Prompt assessment and treatment is important for dog owners to recognise – especially at this time of year when Advent calendars and other chocolate treats are often left lying around. These present a poison risk to your pet pooch,” Mr Allan said.
Ollie has made swift recovery and no long-term damage is anticipated.