A vet has spoken of her astonishment after an x-ray of a Staffordshire bull terrier puppy revealed an 8in kitchen knife lodged inside its body.

Emily and Macie
PDSA vet Emily Ronald with Macie and the knife that was removed.

PDSA vet Emily Ronald said: “I’ve never seen an x-ray like Macie’s. She was extremely lucky to survive. Her saving grace was she swallowed the handle end first – the blade end would undoubtedly have pierced her organs, likely causing fatal injuries.”

Owner Irene Paisley, from Glasgow, rushed 12-week-old Macie to PDSA’s emergency out-of-hours vet service after she started choking.

Squeaking sound

She said: “Macie was making a squeaking sound – I thought she’d swallowed part of a toy. Then she was sick, but there was no sign of a toy and she started choking.”

Having lost her previous Staffie to cancer two months earlier, Irene feared the worst.

She said: “I was terrified. Poor Macie was still choking and, by the time we arrived at the vet’s, there was blood coming out of her nose. The loss of our previous dog was still very raw and the thought of losing Macie was devastating.”

Passed through stomach

X-rays showed the knife handle had passed through Macie’s stomach and into her intestines, while the tip of the knife was still in her gullet. She underwent emergency surgery to remove the knife while Irene, her partner and four children waited at home for news.

Irene said: “I couldn’t believe it when they said Macie had swallowed a knife. I have no idea where she got hold of it – she could have pinched it out of the dishwasher, but no one saw what happened. None of us could sleep that night as we knew Macie might not survive.”

Successful operation

The operation was a success and Macie was transferred to the PDSA Pet Hospital in Shamrock Street the following morning, where her recovery began.

Dr Ronald said: “The morning after surgery, she was bouncing all over the place as if nothing had happened. Macie has been back for frequent check-ups over the past two weeks and we’re pleased she’s recovering and healing well.”

View your activity >

Leave a Reply

Be the First to Comment!

Notify of
avatar

wpDiscuz

related content

Byre Vets in Werrington, Peterborough, Cambridgeshire is the latest to be added to a network of practices located in the nearby towns of Oundle, Thrapston, Corby and Stamford.

4 mins

Leeds-based Beechwood Veterinary Group is inviting pets to free nail clipping clinics to raise money for a local rescue fund that helps pay for the treatment and care of strays.

5 mins

To support National Microchipping Month in June, Virbac is providing a free support pack for practices to use in the waiting room and online – plus a chance for staff to win prizes.

2 mins

Research has demonstrated infants exposed to cats and dogs in early life may have reduced risk of developing allergies and obesity.

3 mins

Climate change is having a big impact on the threats posed by ectoparasites to the nation’s pets. Here, one of the UK’s leading parasitologists, Ian Wright, looks at what veterinary practices can do to help tackle ticks and fight fleas.

23 mins

Vicky Robinson discusses why it's important to see beyond the obvious ‘cute factor’ and recognise the significant clinical and commercial factors implicit in the arrival of a new puppy or kitten.

19 mins