A West Highland terrier took getting her five-a-day to extremes when she nearly died after wolfing down a whole pear.

A West Highland terrier took getting her five-a-day to extremes when she nearly died after wolfing down a whole pear.

When 10-year-old Rosie swallowed the piece of fruit while out on a walk, it got stuck in the back of her throat, causing her to start choking and coughing up foam.

Rosie the Westie after her operationHowever, quick-thinking owner Giselle Parsons, of Ruislip, north-west London, rushed Rosie to the team at Vets Now Northolt, who were able to save her.

Liron Hirsh, senior veterinary surgeon at Vets Now Northolt said: “Rosie started retching after being on a walk with her owners. She came to our clinic subdued and very uncomfortable.

“The foreign body was quite firmly stuck, so the vet could not remove it with the endoscope. Emergency surgery was performed and the pear was removed successfully from the stomach. She recovered very well and went home after a couple of days.”    

According to owner Giselle, Rosie is back on the mend, with her appetite undiminished.

“We laugh about it now, but we had a few sleepless nights until we were sure she was on the mend,” she said.

“I would love to say Rosie has learnt her lesson, but 10 days on she was back to her usual tricks, swallowing her food without chewing or tasting it and chasing squirrels in the garden.

“She has a six-inch scar, but otherwise you would never know what she had been through.”

View your activity >

Leave a Reply

Be the First to Comment!

Notify of
avatar

wpDiscuz