Stubby the bearded dragon nearly bit off more than he could chew when he swallowed a 4cm shard of glass. Unable to operate, and with the patient refusing oral medication, his vet had no choice but to let nature take its course…

Stubby the bearded dragon looked to have bitten off more than he could chew after swallowing a shard of glass in the back garden.

Stubby with his x-rayUnsure what to do, his worried owners took him to Whitworth Veterinary Practice in Felixstowe, where practice owner Jamie Whittle examined the five-year-old lizard.

After being administered a general anaesthetic, Stubby was given an x-ray that showed the jagged, 4cm-long piece of glass in his stomach.

However, lacking the facilities to operate, and with the patient refusing oral medication, the only option was to send him home and let nature take its course – and despite taking longer than expected, 10 days later Stubby finally passed the piece of glass, with no ill effects.

Mr Whittle said: “After a less than satisfactory general anaesthesia and x-ray, the lizard was woken up and sent home.

“We had no other choice really as we couldn’t operate, so after consulting a referral practice it was decided to just let the glass pass naturally. I had been concerned about peritonitis, but as he wouldn’t take any antibiotics by mouth, there was nothing else we could do.

“After about four days I rang to check how he was getting on and he had still not passed the glass. However, 10 days later the owners came in with the piece of glass to tell me that Stubby was doing fine.”

View your activity >

Leave a Reply

Be the First to Comment!

Notify of