The London offices of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons were evacuated yesterday (August 26, 2015) after a small fire broke out.
The fire service was on the scene promptly and the fire was put out quickly. Because of smoke and fumes, the offices were evacuated by all but key staff involved with business continuity.
The fire was in the back-up power supply and the telephone and IT systems were down for several hours. By 5pm, all systems were restored and staff returned to work as normal today.
RCVS registrar Gordon Hockey said everyone pulled together to get the Royal College back online quickly.
“It is odd we’ve had a fire and yet also feel lucky, because it could have been so much worse – although, as the fire investigator said to us, you make your own luck in these situations,” he said.
No-one was hurt and the fire did not affect any RCVS data. Even if it had, the Royal College has off-site data back-up.