An American company has invented what it claims is the world’s first implantable GPS microchip for pets.

Escape Alert, based in Los Angeles, has filed international patents for the device, which alerts owners if their pet escapes and enables them to track the animal’s exact location. This is not possible with other microchips, which are passive until read by scanners.

The company says because the technology is permanently implanted in the animal’s body, there are none of the typical problems associated with bulky GPS collars that are too heavy for many pets.

It is also more reliable because it never needs recharging.

Escape Alert cofounder and chief executive officer Wayne Norris said: “This is a game changer and could put an end to lost pets once and for all.”

The chip will be self-powered by a piezo-electrical nanogenerator, which creates power from mechanical movement such as walking or moving your arms.  Researchers have been able to self-power cardiac pacemakers, eliminating the need for surgery to replace the battery.

Mr Norris said: “We have been working on this GPS microchip for years, but the trick was how to power the battery of an implanted device.

“The technology just wasn’t there, until now. Piezo-electrical nanogerator technology is the wave of the future and may put an end to batteries as we know them. It’s the next big thing since the computer revolution.”

View your activity >

12 Comments on "Patents filed for first implantable microchip with GPS tracking"

Notify of

Sort by:   newest | oldest | most voted
Stuart bartlett
Guest
Stuart bartlett
1 year 3 months ago

Hi are these available yet…..we are having major problems in the UK with Dogs being stolen…..these would sell in there thousands

Julie
Guest
Julie
16 days 3 hours ago

Escape Alert was apparantely a scam by the woman owner. if you google you will find the details. She is still on facebook but I don’t know how far the case went to court

Becky Roy
Guest
Becky Roy
1 year 3 months ago

Yes are these available yet as I would definitely have my pets chipped with this tracker?

Rich Allen
Guest
Rich Allen
1 year 14 days ago

Unfortunately this looks like it was a scam on kickstarter. Company has disappeared.

Vet Times
Admin
1 year 14 days ago
Thanks, Rich. While we won’t go as far as to say “scam”, you are right in that the company does appear to have vanished – as many other failed Kickstarter operations have done before and, undoubtedly, will continue to do for the foreseeable future. Plus, there was also a bit of controversy surrounding one of the company’s founders. That aside, the proposition is an intriguing one. If it truly was possible to create GPS chip small enough to implant (the smallest on the market is currently still the size of a coin – roughly 10 x 10 x 3.8mm) and… Read more »
Annette Hoggard
Guest
Annette Hoggard
1 year 14 days ago

I have never and would never put a collar on my cats for the fear of them getting hooked up.
I have both my cats chipped but would absolutely love a GPS microchip. When I shout my cats in the evening and they don’t come I instantly panick. Actually I panick any time they don’t come. I would definitely have my cats GPS microchipped if it is safe to have it done. I think it is a fantastic idea.

TASHA
Guest
TASHA
8 months 6 days ago

My beautiful cat has been missing for days now. If there was such a thing as an implantable gps tracking microchip device I would definitely get one. I’m sure it has been invented before for humans though……………………. and hence a patent can’t be achieved if it has already been patented. ……

karen
Guest
karen
5 months 26 days ago

Im sure there is, or possible, the company who makes this, will make a fortune, so I don’t know what is holding anyone up, it could save so many pets lives by getting them home

craig muir
Guest
craig muir
5 months 22 days ago
I find it incredible that no company is or has been able to develop something along these lines. I eagerly await and anticipate as technology moves forward that there will be something in the not so distant future that will eradicate the horrors in the pet animal industry of today. As a beloved pet owner and handler I have an idea which I am looking to develop next year that will absorb some of the cost of development of such a product of which I am sure there will be a massive uptake. I actually hope someone beats me to… Read more »
Patty
Guest
Patty
3 months 8 days ago

Surely if the technology exists to make a drone the size of a mosquito they can certainly put a GPS tracking device in an injectable microchip.

michael
Guest
3 months 3 days ago

There is no such thing as an implantable gps microchip. First off, GPS can only get down to about the size of a quarter or a bottle cap. This would first off kill an elephant- let alone a small kitten. Second, in regards to nanogenerator technology. It is not only very new technology, but very very large. can not be implanted. Most importantly, Escape alert was a total fraud and the woman went to jail.

wpDiscuz

related content

Scientists have used the techniques to produce pigs potentially resilient from porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome.

4 mins

The RSPCA has released CCTV footage that captures the moment a lurcher is tied to a fence and abandoned in the hope it will lead to more information.

4 mins

A charity that provides free vet care to pets of homeless and vulnerably housed people is racing against time to find funds to remain operational.

3 mins

Ben Garland describes surgery to remove a foreign body from the oesophagus, looking at alternative methods, potential complications and recovery

26 mins

The RVC has strengthened its ongoing educational twinning project with the Jordan University of Science and Technology by welcoming a delegation to its London headquarters.

3 mins

A new scholarship for veterinary medicine degree students that gives preference to male applicants has sparked outrage among female students.

3 mins