An American company has invented what it claims is the world’s first implantable GPS microchip for pets.

Escape Alert, based in Los Angeles, has filed international patents for the device, which alerts owners if their pet escapes and enables them to track the animal’s exact location. This is not possible with other microchips, which are passive until read by scanners.

The company says because the technology is permanently implanted in the animal’s body, there are none of the typical problems associated with bulky GPS collars that are too heavy for many pets.

It is also more reliable because it never needs recharging.

Escape Alert cofounder and chief executive officer Wayne Norris said: “This is a game changer and could put an end to lost pets once and for all.”

The chip will be self-powered by a piezo-electrical nanogenerator, which creates power from mechanical movement such as walking or moving your arms.  Researchers have been able to self-power cardiac pacemakers, eliminating the need for surgery to replace the battery.

Mr Norris said: “We have been working on this GPS microchip for years, but the trick was how to power the battery of an implanted device.

“The technology just wasn’t there, until now. Piezo-electrical nanogerator technology is the wave of the future and may put an end to batteries as we know them. It’s the next big thing since the computer revolution.”

View your activity >

11 Comments on "Patents filed for first implantable microchip with GPS tracking"

Notify of

Sort by:   newest | oldest | most voted
Stuart bartlett
Guest
Stuart bartlett
1 year 1 month ago

Hi are these available yet…..we are having major problems in the UK with Dogs being stolen…..these would sell in there thousands

Becky Roy
Guest
Becky Roy
1 year 1 month ago

Yes are these available yet as I would definitely have my pets chipped with this tracker?

Rich Allen
Guest
Rich Allen
9 months 28 days ago

Unfortunately this looks like it was a scam on kickstarter. Company has disappeared.

Vet Times
Admin
9 months 27 days ago
Thanks, Rich. While we won’t go as far as to say “scam”, you are right in that the company does appear to have vanished – as many other failed Kickstarter operations have done before and, undoubtedly, will continue to do for the foreseeable future. Plus, there was also a bit of controversy surrounding one of the company’s founders. That aside, the proposition is an intriguing one. If it truly was possible to create GPS chip small enough to implant (the smallest on the market is currently still the size of a coin – roughly 10 x 10 x 3.8mm) and… Read more »
Annette Hoggard
Guest
Annette Hoggard
9 months 27 days ago

I have never and would never put a collar on my cats for the fear of them getting hooked up.
I have both my cats chipped but would absolutely love a GPS microchip. When I shout my cats in the evening and they don’t come I instantly panick. Actually I panick any time they don’t come. I would definitely have my cats GPS microchipped if it is safe to have it done. I think it is a fantastic idea.

TASHA
Guest
TASHA
5 months 20 days ago

My beautiful cat has been missing for days now. If there was such a thing as an implantable gps tracking microchip device I would definitely get one. I’m sure it has been invented before for humans though……………………. and hence a patent can’t be achieved if it has already been patented. ……

karen
Guest
karen
3 months 9 days ago

Im sure there is, or possible, the company who makes this, will make a fortune, so I don’t know what is holding anyone up, it could save so many pets lives by getting them home

craig muir
Guest
craig muir
3 months 6 days ago
I find it incredible that no company is or has been able to develop something along these lines. I eagerly await and anticipate as technology moves forward that there will be something in the not so distant future that will eradicate the horrors in the pet animal industry of today. As a beloved pet owner and handler I have an idea which I am looking to develop next year that will absorb some of the cost of development of such a product of which I am sure there will be a massive uptake. I actually hope someone beats me to… Read more »
Patty
Guest
Patty
22 days 7 hours ago

Surely if the technology exists to make a drone the size of a mosquito they can certainly put a GPS tracking device in an injectable microchip.

michael
Guest
17 days 14 hours ago

There is no such thing as an implantable gps microchip. First off, GPS can only get down to about the size of a quarter or a bottle cap. This would first off kill an elephant- let alone a small kitten. Second, in regards to nanogenerator technology. It is not only very new technology, but very very large. can not be implanted. Most importantly, Escape alert was a total fraud and the woman went to jail.

wpDiscuz

related content

BVA figures show one-in-three vets who treat pets have seen puppies they believe to have been illegally imported from overseas in the last year.

6 mins

Boehringer Academy and Buscopan 20 are offering vets the chance to win one of 30 rectal tops for equine rectal examination by watching its CPD video.

2 mins

James Russell explores the challenges of addressing immunosuppression by reviewing a project at one farm to improve transition cow management.

25 mins

Patrick Pollock discusses a development in equine veterinary medicine that has led to a fundamental change in understanding the airway – both in terms of health and disease.

22 mins

Marie Kubiak explores vaccine options and precautions to be taken in various species, as well as complications caused by viral haemorrhagic disease type two in UK rabbits.

22 mins

The app, says NOAH, gives users the ability to find information on more than 1,000 animal medicine listings included on the compendium website.

3 mins