An emergency trip to the vets was required after two dogs got drunk after lapping up a bottle of advocaat.
Pet owners Fiona and Anthony Robson were shocked to find their spaniels Oscar and Martha in an intoxicated state when they arrived home from work.
Martha was staggering and swaying so badly she fell over in the garden, while Oscar looked drowsy and depressed.
Their third pet, a cocker spaniel called Brecon, is thought to have knocked the bottle off a bench in the utility room at the couple’s Gateshead home – but he was sober.
They took the pair to Prince Bishop Veterinary Hospital, County Durham, where vet Emma Hindson induced vomiting before feeding them activated charcoal to absorb the remaining alcohol.
It was the second case of dogs getting drunk Prince Bishop vets had seen this festive season, after two Labradors smashed red wine bottles and licked the contents from the floor.
Dr Hindson said: “Alcohol affects pets in the same way it does humans, so Oscar and Martha were quite tiddly when they arrived.”
Warning to others
She added: “This was an unfortunate accident and their owner did the right thing by bringing them in immediately for treatment. Her responsible action meant everything turned out fine and they could go home.”
Mrs Robson had purchased the advocaat to make snowball cocktails over Christmas.
She said: “I was panic-stricken as we are so careful with our pets and could never have imagined anything like this happening. Prince Bishop has been my vets for 30 years, so I rushed them there.
“Now they’re fine, I can see the funny side of it – but I won’t be keeping bottles on the top of unit anymore. I would advise pet owners to keep everything locked away.”