The owners of a prize-winning Irish setter are in “no doubt” their dog was “maliciously poisoned” at Crufts after a postmortem allegedly revealed traces of poisoned beef.
Co-owner Jeremy Bott said: “When the vet opened up his stomach, she found cubes of meat – some sort of beef-like steak – and they had been sewn up with poison inside.
“She thinks there were possibly two or three types of poison. I think she identified one as a slug killer. I would guess the other would turn out to be a rat poison or some industrial type of poison.”
The Kennel Club (KC) said it was awaiting a toxicology report from Belgian police.
Speaking to the BBC, KC secretary Caroline Kisko said: “The Kennel Club is deeply shocked and saddened to hear Jagger the Irish setter died some 26 hours after leaving Crufts.
“We have spoken to his owners and our heartfelt sympathies go out to them. We understand the toxicology report is due and until that time, we cannot know the cause of this tragic incident.”