A greedy Dalmatian was left needing emergency veterinary treatment after gorging itself on a binge of impressive proportions while its owner was out.

Molly with a selection of hot cross buns, chocolate and dentastix. Image: PDSA.

Mischievous Molly, from Middlesbrough, sniffed a bag of food shopping her owner thought she had put away and proceeded to gobble up:

  • 36 dog dental sticks
  • 8 sultana buns
  • 1 packet of mini chocolate eggs


When owner Kerry Buck returned home, she was horrified to find her hungry hound seriously ill with sickness and diarrhoea.

She said: “I’d only popped out for 25 minutes. When I got home, it was chaos – Molly had been sick everywhere.

“I rushed over to her as she was frothing at the mouth and very lethargic. I could see what food she had been eating, so telephoned PDSA straight away.”

Not only did the stolen food stash make Molly unwell, but her life hung in the balance as sultanas and chocolate are highly toxic to dogs.

Potentially lethal

She was given immediate treatment at PDSA Pet Hospital Middlesbrough to stabilise her condition.

Head nurse Steph Williams said: “Molly ate a potentially lethal cocktail of ingredients.

“Sultanas affect kidney function and can lead to organ failure, while chocolate contains a substance called theobromine, which attacks the CNS and can be life-threatening.

“It never ceases to amaze me how pets can get themselves into trouble and get their paws on food – even when it’s supposedly out of reach.

“Thankfully for Molly, there seem to be no lasting effects and she has made a great recovery.”

View your activity >

Leave a Reply

Be the First to Comment!

Notify of


related content

One of the world’s most respected specialists in veterinary internal medicine is to lecture at London Vet Show.

3 mins

Common diseases are common, but, as Gayle Hallowell explains, "zebra"-type cardiac conditions do occur – and can be diagnosed using a care-based approach.

23 mins

Shield Veterinary Centre in Bishop's Waltham, Hampshire celebrated with demonstrations, games and quizzes, as well as raising money for charity.

3 mins

Ian Ramsey, Susanna Spence and Emma Roberts having all been involved in a desoxycortone pivalate clinical trial, provide a review of hypoadrenocorticism, as well as suggestions for management in dogs.

29 mins

James Oxley and Tamara Montrose take a look at several cases and research studies into the causes and factors related to cats falling from tall structures, and the resulting injuries sustained.

11 mins

Sebastien Behr looks at signs, diagnosis and treatment of masses found in the pituitary gland.

7 mins