A greedy Dalmatian was left needing emergency veterinary treatment after gorging itself on a binge of impressive proportions while its owner was out.

Molly
Molly with a selection of hot cross buns, chocolate and dentastix. Image: PDSA.

Mischievous Molly, from Middlesbrough, sniffed a bag of food shopping her owner thought she had put away and proceeded to gobble up:

  • 36 dog dental sticks
  • 8 sultana buns
  • 1 packet of mini chocolate eggs

Chaos

When owner Kerry Buck returned home, she was horrified to find her hungry hound seriously ill with sickness and diarrhoea.

She said: “I’d only popped out for 25 minutes. When I got home, it was chaos – Molly had been sick everywhere.

“I rushed over to her as she was frothing at the mouth and very lethargic. I could see what food she had been eating, so telephoned PDSA straight away.”

Not only did the stolen food stash make Molly unwell, but her life hung in the balance as sultanas and chocolate are highly toxic to dogs.

Potentially lethal

She was given immediate treatment at PDSA Pet Hospital Middlesbrough to stabilise her condition.

Head nurse Steph Williams said: “Molly ate a potentially lethal cocktail of ingredients.

“Sultanas affect kidney function and can lead to organ failure, while chocolate contains a substance called theobromine, which attacks the CNS and can be life-threatening.

“It never ceases to amaze me how pets can get themselves into trouble and get their paws on food – even when it’s supposedly out of reach.

“Thankfully for Molly, there seem to be no lasting effects and she has made a great recovery.”

View your activity >

Leave a Reply

Be the First to Comment!

Notify of
avatar

wpDiscuz

related content

A parrot with a talent for mimicry has been identified as a serial dog poisoner.

5 mins

Knowledge is power – which, as Nick Marsh discusses, is why vets battle the unpredictability of appointments, satnavs and technical malfunctions to get to meetings.

11 mins

Veterinary dermatologist Charlie Walker, otherwise known as the “Skin Vet”, will discuss “Canine atopic dermatitis: a multi-modal treatment approach” on 27 April.

2 mins

Survey to be carried out by the Cat Population Control Group to help them understand more about neutering within UK practices.

4 mins

A four-year-old rabbit with a habit of eating things it shouldn't needed a trip to the vets after snaffling half a Terry’s Chocolate Orange.

3 mins

Fitzpatrick Referrals neurology team offers advice and shares knowledge on various topics in their field of expertise.

20 mins