Trixie has bounced back to health after PDSA vets discovered and removed a rubber ball from her stomach – which she’d swallowed two years ago.
It wasn’t until the dog was x-rayed that vets at the PDSA hospital discovered the ball in her stomach, which had been there for two years.
Pet owner Melanie Pounder took the dog to the vets two years ago after Trixie swallowed the bouncy ball. However, no trace of the ball was found and vets assumed it had been passed.
When Trixie, aged 10, began being sick Melanie took her to PDSA’s pet hospital in Sunderland to try to solve the mystery.
PDSA vet Emma Holt said an x-ray revealed the cause of the problem. She said: “Trixie was well in herself, but we knew something wasn’t right.
“So we took an x-ray and spotted a small object in her abdomen, which looked suspicious. Exploratory surgery was carried out, and we soon discovered it was a ball.
“I’ve seen a few strange cases during my time as a vet, but never something like this where a foreign body has just been hiding away for so long before causing a problem.”
Vets said Trixie was fortunate the ball had not moved to her intestines, where it could have caused a fatal blockage. Owner Melanie said she is grateful to PDSA and delighted Trixie has made a full recovery.
She said: “When it turned out to be the ball, I couldn’t believe it – we just assumed Trixie had passed it through her system two years ago.
“To think it’s been there the whole time is just incredible. I’m so grateful to PDSA for helping Trixie to get well again, as I love her to bits and we would be lost without her.”