The poisoning of Jagger the Irish Setter did not happen at Crufts, according to a toxicology report.

KC secretary Caroline Kisko interviewed by Sky News. Image: YouTube

A postmortem following his death showed Jagger died after eating a piece of beef laced with carbofuran and aldicarb, sparking fears he’d been targeted while competing at Crufts.

However, following a report from a toxicologist, timelines indicate the poison was almost certainly eaten once the dog had returned to Belgium, not Birmingham.

Caroline Kisko, The Kennel Club secretary, said: “The Kennel Club’s deepest sympathies go to Jagger’s owners, who have received confirmation that Jagger tragically died from the ingestion of poisoned material, and we ask their privacy is respected as they grieve for their beloved pet.

“There has been a lot of concern about whether the poisoning happened at Crufts and we are now able to reassure all dog lovers who came to Crufts that this could not have been possible and it is highly likely the poisons, thought to be on a piece of beef, were eaten in Belgium, shortly before Jagger’s death.

“We have had confirmation, including from independent toxicologists, that the poisons identified in the toxicology report – carbofuran and aldicarb – are fast acting. Severe clinical symptoms would usually occur within half an hour to three hours.

She added: “Considering we are told Jagger showed the first clinical signs usually associated with these two poisons shortly before his death in Belgium, late on Friday March 6 night, leading to the immediate call for veterinary attention, we must conclude it is inconceivable he could have been poisoned at Crufts on Thursday March 5, some 28 to 36 hours earlier.”

Ms Kisko added the postmortem discovered the poisoned beef was still undigested when the autopsy was performed on Saturday March 7. Food is usually absorbed in dogs within six hours.

The Kennel Club has issued general advice to dog owners about the issue of poisoning.

Nick Sutton, health information officer at The Kennel Club, said: “Regardless of the specifics surrounding this particular tragic incident, where Jagger’s owners suspect malicious intent, this tragedy has shone the spotlight very firmly on the issue of poisoning. It is important dog owners know the majority of poison-related deaths and illnesses in dogs in the UK are accidental.

“Some accidents could potentially be avoided if dog owners were to be aware of the common household and garden items that can be harmful to dogs, including chocolate, raisins, onions, some pesticides and garden plants, detergents and many human medicines and we urge people to read The Kennel Club’s poisons guide, on its website, so they can be aware of how to avoid the dangers and keep their dogs as safe as possible, to help prevent other tragedies from occurring.”

View your activity >

Leave a Reply

Be the First to Comment!

Notify of
avatar

wpDiscuz