A Norfolk couple who left their Staffordshire bull terrier dying from haemorrhagic gastroenteritis have been banned from keeping animals for 12 years.

A Norfolk couple who left their Staffordshire bull terrier untreated and dying from haemorrhagic gastroenteritis have been banned from keeping animals for 12 years.

Jack the Staffi was left suffering from gastroenteritis for weeksBubacar Embalo, 29, and Lilina Duarte, 33, of Howard Street North, Great Yarmouth, appeared before Great Yarmouth Magistrates’ Court on July 10, 2013, charged with animal welfare offences, after only calling in an RSPCA inspector when their dog was in a collapsed state.

The pair were banned from keeping animals for 12 years and told they would not be able to appeal for 10 years. They were also given an eight weeks sentence suspended for two years and ordered to pay £150 costs each.

On February 25, 2013, the couple called the RSPCA to visit their three-year-old dog Jack, which was lying emaciated on a conservatory floor.

RSPCA inspector Amy Collingsworth, who was first on the scene, said: “All his ribs, spine, hips and skull were visible and I thought he was dead.

“His body was very cold to the touch and unresponsive, but when I checked his eye reflexes he reacted.

“The owners explained he had been vomiting for a long period of time, but that it had got worse over the past two weeks.”

Jack was immediately taken to a vet, however, he died the following day.

The court was told a postmortem found Jack was suffering from haemorrhagic gastroenteritis, was extremely emaciated and dehydrated and suffering severe hypothermia.

Insp Collingsworth said: “It was very upsetting that we lost Jack as he was left far too long before receiving medical attention.

“Any responsible owner would have taken him to a vet who would have put him on antibiotics and fluids and he could have fully recovered.”

View your activity >

Leave a Reply

Be the First to Comment!

Notify of
avatar

wpDiscuz