The BVA is urging owners to be aware of potential poison hazards to their pets this Christmas after 80% of vets saw at least one case of toxic ingestion in animals over last years’ festive period.

Image: © Fotolia/Stéphanie Narbey.
Image: © Fotolia/Stéphanie Narbey.

Across the UK, chocolate poisoning in dogs was the most common cause of toxic ingestion at Christmas, with 73% of vets seeing at least one case.

Voice of the Profession

Several vets in BVA’s Voice of the Veterinary Profession survey said, despite owners’ best intentions, pets had been poisoned after gifts containing chocolate were placed under the Christmas tree, with the owner unaware of the potential peril for their pet lurking beneath the wrapping.

Many cats also suffered toxic ingestion last Christmas, with a quarter of vets treating cats for antifreeze poisoning.

One in five vets also treated cats for ingestion of poisonous plants, including lilies, which can be fatal. Lily and other pollens can get stuck on cats’ fur and are usually ingested, accidentally, when they groom themselves. Ingesting any part of the lily can result in life threatening kidney issues for cats.

Curious cats may also be tempted to sample plant berries, such as holly or mistletoe, which can also lead to stomach upsets and vomiting.

President’s warning

BVA president Gudrun Ravetz, said: “Christmas is typically a fun and chaotic time, with presents and treats often arriving in our homes.

“Many pet owners are aware of the risks of chocolate poisoning to their pets, but, as our survey shows, it’s easy to be caught out by a box of chocolates left on the side that curious animals can find hard to resist.

“If you suspect your pet may have eaten something they shouldn’t, don’t delay in contacting your local vet.”

 

View your activity >

Leave a Reply

Be the First to Comment!

Notify of
avatar

wpDiscuz

related content

Elton the critically endangered Amur tiger became a star of the small screen when his rare dental surgery was captured by a news crew from CBBC's Newsround.

3 mins

Twizzle the Norfolk black turkey, who fell into his owners’ lives after being dropped in their garden, has become the first of his species to be treated at a local small animal practice.

3 mins

The RSPCA has released CCTV footage that captures the moment a lurcher is tied to a fence and abandoned in the hope it will lead to more information.

4 mins

Vet Times is pleased to announce the winner of VN Times’ latest £1,000 Certificate of Veterinary Nursing in Emergency and Critical Care bursary competition.

4 mins

A previously battered bird is back in the air after having its broken wing repaired by the veterinary team at Willows Veterinary Hospital in Hartford.

4 mins

Former pub transformed into “long-awaited” £1.3 million animal hospital sees visitors pour in for official opening

4 mins