An animal hospital established by the RVC in 1932 is being refurbished to enhance student education, and has been renamed to honour the benefactor whose trust provided £1m towards the £1.5m revamp.
A historic animal hospital, established by the RVC in 1932, is being refurbished to enhance student education and the service to small animals and their owners.
The college’s animal hospital in Camden, London, has been renamed to honour the benefactor whose trust has provided £1m towards the £1.5m revamp.
The donation, from the Jean Sainsbury Animal Welfare Trust, is one of the largest the college has received in its 220-year history. Consequently, the Beaumont Animals’ Hospital, which is a first opinion service, is now known as the Beaumont Sainsbury Animals’ Hospital.
The trust was established in 1982. Benefactor Mrs Sainsbury, who died in 2007, extensively supported the RVC and other veterinary schools during her life.
The refurbishment of the Camden hospital includes a refit of surgical facilities and radiography suite, the creation of a dedicated dental suite and the expansion of ward facilities for exotics. The ward space for dogs is being transformed, with isolation facilities being added to minimise the risk of the spread of infectious diseases.
Other changes being made include:
• The renovation of reception areas;
• Refitting of consultation rooms;
• Upgrades to the dispensary and treatment room;
• Refurbishment of student seminar facilities; and
• Improvements to VN living quarters.
It is anticipated that the work will be completed in spring 2011. The hospital will remain open throughout the refurbishment.
- See this week’s Veterinary Times for RVC principal Quintin McKellar‘s opinions on the significance of this development and how the hospital contributes towards students’ education and training (Vol.40, No.42)