MS058 – Backyard Poultry Mini Series
This course is available online. Please see below for more details on how to attend this course via the Internet.
12 months access to recordings and course materials is included. Please note that these are webinar recordings and not live events. Full details on how to access the Mini Series will be emailed to you.
The chicken (Gallus gallusdomesticus) continues to grow in popularity and owners are seeking high quality care and treatment of treasured individuals. Do you know what to do when faced with a pet chicken with a problem? This Mini Series will look into key conditions affecting backyard poultry, and how to recognise them and manage them in practice.
- Join avian expert Aidan Raftery MVB CertZooMedCBiol MSB MRCVS for 3 2-hour online sessions
- Get all the help you need with backyard poultry
- Make sure you’re up to date with current thinking in diagnostics and therapeutics
- Comprehensive notes to downloaded
- Self-assessment quizzes to ‘release’ your 8 hours CPD certification (don’t worry, you can take them more than once if you don’t quite hit the mark first time)
- 12 Months access to recorded sessions following purchase
- Superb value for money – learn without travelling
- This Mini Series was originally broadcast live in September 2013
Behaviour, Skin and Gastrointestinal Conditions
- When is “broodiness” normal?
- How to deal with vent pecking
- Behavioural enrichment – what you need to know
- Problems with roosters and how to deal with them
- Is it a normal moult? How to tell
- How to distinguish between the pathogenic and the non-pathogenic external “parasites”
- Diagnosing Flavus
- Common differentials for skin lesions
- Update on how to manage bumblefoot
- Your clinical approach to the inappetant bird
- What to do with your scouring chicken patient
Reproductive Disease, Critical Care and Clinical Techniques
- Are you making the best decisions for your ascitic patients?
- Prolapse, what on earth do you do? Find out in this session!
- Salpingitis, probably the most common condition in laying hens, are you diagnosing it?
- Developmental problems in chicks, what can be fixed?
- How to use fluid therapy in chickens
- Nutritional support for the critical hen
- Collecting the right diagnostic sample
- Vascular access techniques in poultry- practical tips
Respiratory Disease, Neurological and Musculoskeletal Disease
- Your clinical approach to respiratory disease
- How to evaluate the lungs radiographically
- Why is this eye swollen?
- The lame chicken, what are your potential differentials?
- What do you do with “Wry Neck”?
- Clinical update on Marek’s Disease
- How to deal with sinusitis in your chicken patients
The price includes all 3 sessions, notes and quiz – 8 hours of CPD
*No traffic jams, accommodation hassles, pet or childcare, rota clashes, locum fees ……….. just great CPD and a valuable ongoing resource.
*overseas customers will not be charged VAT