Complex problems in brachycephalic dogs – to cut or not to cut?
- British Veterinary Association
- Gert ter Haar DVM PhD DECVS MRCVS, Senior Lecturer Soft Tissue Surgery, Royal Veterinary College and Head of the ENT, Brachycephaly and Audiology Clinics
- 25/10/2016 - 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
- Add to your calendar
- Add to your Google calendar
- Tel no: 020 7908 6336
- Email : email@example.com
7 Mansfield Street
This course will consist of four interactive lectures on brachycephaly-related problems of the head, neck, and thorax.
All aspects of airway abnormalities will be discussed such as stenotic nares, increased mucosal contact points, nasopharyngeal turbinate protrusion, pharyngeal hypoplasia and overlong soft palate, laryngeal hypoplasia and collapse, and tracheal collapse.
You will receive a detailed overview of specific brachycephaly-related ear problems, including narrow and stenotic ear canals, tympanic bulla hypoplasia, middle ear effusion, and hearing loss, and we’ll look at surgical solutions, such as total ear canal ablation. Otitis externa and skin fold problems of the head will be reviewed as well.
In addition we’ll review the etiology, diagnostic work up and treatment options for regurgitation in brachycephalic dogs, especially in French Bulldogs, including surgery for hiatal hernia. Finally, acute and chronic lung lobe torsion in the Pug and lung lobectomy for lung lobe torsion will be discussed.
Each lecture will be followed by an interactive discussion.
The five key things you will learn from this course are:
- Recognise all brachycephaly related problems
- Prevent complications after anaesthesia
- When to cut and how to cut
- The importance of client education
- Ways to improve welfare for brachycephalic dogs
BVA Members early bird rate* – £180
BVA Members standard rate – £210
Non BVA Member early bird rate*- £300
Non BVA Member standard rate- £360
*Early bird rate applies to bookings made more than six weeks in advance of the course date.
Book online or call Helen Dingle on 020 7908 6336
BVA members can book three BVA CPD courses for the price of two. Find out more and view our terms and conditions at www.bva.co.uk/CPD
You can find out more about this course on the BVA website.