Star saved by PDSA vets in Blackpool after they remove nearly 80 pieces of gravel from her stomach and intestines, leading to owner Tracy removing the rest of the gravel from her garden…
A Jack Russell’s fate was almost set in stone after she swallowed up to 80 pieces of gravel, nearly killing her.
PDSA vets in Blackpool realised Star was on rocky ground after they could feel “crunchy material” in her stomach. But they were stunned when an x-ray revealed the seven-year-old terrier had wolfed down huge quantities of gravel – with dozens of them in her stomach.
Star’s owner, Tracy McCaul, had become worried about her beloved dog after she refused any food for 24 hours and was barely able to move. She took the dog to the PDSA, where vets warned Tracy her pet would require risky surgery to remove the stones.
PDSA senior vet Jennifer Jackson said: “Star’s condition was very worrying – she could hardly stand and was extremely dehydrated. When we saw the x-rays we couldn’t believe how many stones she had swallowed.
“It really was touch and go whether Star would survive – the quantity of sharp stones passing through her intestines was damaging them and given the possibility of them piercing her intestines, there was a danger of her developing potentially fatal peritonitis. We had to carry out emergency surgery to remove the stones and, thankfully, she has gone on to make a full recovery.”
Tracy, from Fleetwood, believes Star had eaten the stones while playing in the garden: “I was very shocked when PDSA told me she had swallowed so many; I just didn’t think it was possible. I was really worried about her.
“I’m so grateful to PDSA for the care and treatment they gave Star. Without them I don’t think she’d still be alive.”
Tracy, who owns another dog called Mitzie, has removed all gravel from her garden to prevent any similar incidents in the future.