More targeted wormer use could help deal with rise in potentially fatal lungworm infections.

A lack of knowledge about worming could be leading to a rise in potentially fatal lungworm infections, according to a Hertfordshire veterinary hospital.

Honey: On the road to recovery.Davies Veterinary Specialists (DVS), a private small animal referral hospital based at Higham Gobion, has treated four cases of serious lungworm infection in the past couple of months, all within around 30 miles of each other.

Usually the practice only sees two or three lungworm cases a year, at most.

It’s thought the increase in cases could be the result of a lack of knowledge among some owners about the right wormers to use, as well as the fact that lungworm appears to be getting a stronger foothold in some areas, possibly due to factors such as climate change.

The lungworm Angiostrongylus vasorum is a parasite carried by slugs and snails and also spread by foxes.

Dogs can become infected if they accidentally eat these pests when drinking
from puddles, eating grass or playing with toys outside.

The adult lungworm lives in the heart and major blood vessels that supply the lungs and if left untreated, infection can be fatal, causing irreparable damage to the heart and brain, often because it causes bleeding.

Dog owner Irené O’Hanlon-Marin, from Beaconsfield, recently witnessed the dangers of the potentially lethal parasite. Her young cocker spaniel, Honey, almost died from severe lungworm infection, despite the fact she has always been wormed regularly.

Vets initially believed the dog’s symptoms of neck pain, breathlessness, shaking and lethargy to be the result of a recent head injury.

LungwormSerious alarm was raised when Honey appeared to suffer a fit three weeks later, became unable to walk and lost her vision in one eye. She was immediately referred to DVS as an emergency, where a prompt diagnosis by DVS Specialists saved her life.

Peter Smith, neurology specialist at DVS, said: “Honey was in a pretty serious condition when admitted here and would, I suspect, have died if she’d been left another few hours. She’s now back home and much improved, and appears to be regaining her sight.

“We are concerned that many owners worm their dogs regularly, little realising that many widely used drugs do not treat lungworm infection adequately. It is crucial to discuss your dog’s worming programme with your vet, to avoid using ‘off the shelf’ drugs that might leave your pet vulnerable.”

View your activity >

Leave a Reply

Be the First to Comment!

Notify of