A vet who was presented with a dog that had swallowed a kebab stick has got in touch after reading about a similar case in Veterinary Times.

X-rays confirmed the Labrador retriever cross had swallowed an 8in metal skewer.

Clive Lloyd – of Beaumont Veterinary Centre in Pinhoe, Exeter – contacted vettimes.co.uk’s print counterpart after reading a recent news article about a rescue dog that swallowed a pack of chicken satay kebabs on sharp wooden skewers.

Case presentation

Dr Lloyd said: “I was presented one Saturday evening with a 40kg Labrador retriever cross that the owner thought might have swallowed a kebab stick.

“The dog seemed very bright, but on sedation and x-ray, we discovered an 8in metal stick that appeared to be partly in the stomach and partly in the oesophagus.

“We progressed to full general anaesthetic and endoscopy, which confirmed our suspicions and I managed to remove the object using the endoscope – which was not easy when all I had to work on was a pointed end.

“The intriguing thing is the owner said it had a full complement of food on it when it went in, but there was no food left on it by the time I saw it.”

View your activity >

Leave a Reply

Be the First to Comment!

Notify of


related content

Andy Durham outlines some diagnostic and treatment approaches to ulceration of the cornea presenting in horses.

21 mins

Sotirios Karvountzis considers the advantages and disadvantages of differing surgical methods when approaching the left displaced abomasum in cattle.

34 mins

Kate Parkinson looks at the lessons learned from a canine case of suspected penile prolapse, including the procedures undertaken and postoperative outcomes that ensued.

26 mins

Sarah Freeman, Karen Rickards, Adelle Bowden, John Burford and Gary England discuss the use of two diagnostic tests for identifying colic in equines in the second of a two-part article.

21 mins

Elisabetta Mancinelli tackles another topic in unusual pets in her latest Exotic Encounters column.

22 mins

A survey has found 90% of respondents believe strangles should be more of a priority in the UK.

2 mins