Vets at PDSA Glasgow have been given a ringing endorsement after saving a cat that swallowed a bell.

Skie, a Norwegian Forest crossbreed, got more than she bargained for when she swallowed the bell from her collar.

Her concerned owner brought her to the pet hospital in Glasgow when Skie did not appear her usual self and was making attempts to vomit.

It was only when PDSA vets x-rayed the curious cat that the object was found in her stomach. After undergoing surgery, Skie was kept in hospital overnight before being allowed to return home the following day.

PDSA senior vet, Elaine Pendlebury advises cat collars should always be quick-release to avoid injury.

She said: “PDSA would recommend microchipping as a more reliable method of identification as collars can easily be removed or lost. I have also seen cases where collars have got tangled around a cat’s leg, which can be very serious.

“If the blood supply to a cat’s leg is cut off for too long amputation can even result. The use of a cat safety collar is fine, so long as it features a pull apart snap buckle that breaks away under a certain amount of pressure.”

PDSA advises all pet owners that if they suspect their pet has swallowed something it shouldn’t they should consult their vet immediately.

The charity is on a mission to educate the nation on pet well-being and is delighted funding from players of the People’s Postcode Lottery is helping the charity to continue this vital work.

For further pet health advice, visit www.pdsa.org.uk/pethealth 

View your activity >

Leave a Reply

Be the First to Comment!

Notify of
avatar

wpDiscuz