Vets at PDSA PetAid hospital perform emergency operation to remove swallowed tennis ball from the abdomen of husky dog.

It was almost game, set and match for a two-year-old husky dog that swallowed a tennis ball.

Vets at Brighton PDSA PetAid hospital admitted Pax to carry out tests after he had become unwell, but were stunned when an x-ray revealed the ball in his abdomen.

Brighton PDSA senior vet Becca Thring said: “This was a life-or-death situation – without surgery, it was highly likely Pax would have died. As with all major operations, there are risks, but it was the only option.”

Emergency surgery was carried out and the tennis ball was removed intact. Pax’s operation went extremely well and he was allowed home the same day. He quickly bounced back to health, although he is now sporting a 10cm scar.

Owner Anna added: “I was in the park with Pax and my other dog Pixie, a Jack Russell, and the dogs were happily playing with their favourite toys – tennis balls, like usual. Pax loves throwing a ball into the air and then catching it – it’s something he’s always done since he was a puppy.

“When it was time to leave, Pax didn’t have his ball – I just assumed he’d lost it in the undergrowth and thought no more about it. He became really poorly over the next week and I was so worried about him.

“I was stunned when PDSA called to reveal how dangerously ill he was and what the problem was. I can’t believe a bit of innocent fun had turned into a life-threatening situation. I’ll be forever grateful to PDSA for saving his life.”

View your activity >

Leave a Reply

Be the First to Comment!

Notify of
avatar

wpDiscuz