Veterinary staff have performed surgery to save a kitten that was impaled by a 2.5in darning needle.

Veterinary staff have performed surgery to save a kitten that was impaled by a 2.5in darning needle.

needle x-rayThe seven-month-old animal, Marley, sustained neck injuries after pouncing on the needle.

She was taken to The Blue Cross animal hospital in Victoria, London, when her concerned owners noticed she was coughing and felt something protruding from under the skin in her neck. 

The charity’s veterinary staff carried out x-rays to pin point the problem and were amazed to discover the long needle, which had pierced through the roof of the kitten’s mouth right through the back of her neck, narrowly missing her jugular vein and windpipe.

Staff quickly operated to carefully pull out the needle under anaesthetic and Marley has now made a full recovery.
 
Vet Julia Smith, who carried out the operation, said: “You can see on the x-ray that the needle had travelled right through the neck muscle, so she must have pounced on the needle with some force.

 

“The needle was close to her spine so shes very lucky to have escaped without any permanent damage.”

marley kittenMarley’s owner, Thomas Ward, said: “We were very surprised to see how big the needle was and we have no idea where she got it from. Were so pleased that she’s doing fine now and she’s back to her cheeky self.”

Julia added: “Occasionally we see cases where cats have swallowed thread attached to needles, but not where a kitten has impaled itself with such a large needle in this way.

 

“Kittens can easily get themselves into mischief because they are naturally inquisitive and love to pounce on objects, so its always worth scouring your home to check for any hazards.”

Photos courtesy of The Blue Cross.
View your activity >

Leave a Reply

Be the First to Comment!

Notify of
avatar

wpDiscuz