As Britain’s summer remains damp, the Kennel Club has warned pet owners about the dangers posed to dogs by the use of toxic-containing slug pellets.

The Kennel Club has warned dog owners about the dangers posed to dogs by the use of slug pellets.

The Kennel Club has warned against the dangers of slug pelletsKennel Club health information officer Nick Sutton said: “Around this time of year we regularly see a spike in cases of dogs and cats with slug pellet poisoning.

“Since it has been so wet recently there are likely to be more slugs and snails around, meaning that people are more likely to use slug and snail pellets, which in turn increases the chances of dogs coming into contact with them.

“The substances used in these pesticides can be toxic to mammals and they can cause severe illness and sometimes fatalities.”

Pesticides are formulated to be toxic and a consequence of this is that they may affect animals other than their target species.

Metaldehyde-based slug pellets are very dangerous to pets and can cause significant poisoning and severe signs can develop within an hour of consumption.

“Even small amounts of metaldehyde can cause a sudden onset of effects such as twitching and fitting, so rapid intervention can save an animals life,” said Mr Sutton. “Intensive therapy may be required, involving heavy sedation, control of convulsions and associated life support measures if needed.

“If you suspect your dog or cat has eaten slug pellets, then try to remember to take the packet it came in along with you to your veterinary practice so that they know which pesticide they are dealing with,” he added.

“Accidents do happen, but try to minimise this by always reading and following the instructions for any pesticide.”

Image © Graham Horn
View your activity >

Leave a Reply

Be the First to Comment!

Notify of