To help celebrate World Veterinary Year 2011, DG SANCO and the OIE have launched a worldwide photo competition entitled “Vets in your daily life”. Prizes include up to €3,000 of photographic equipment.
To help celebrate World Veterinary Year 2011, DG SANCO and the World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE) have launched a worldwide photo competition entitled “Vets in your daily life”.
As explained on the competition’s official website, the idea of this competition is to promote the veterinary profession, both in terms of vets’ role in society, and from “farm to fork”.
It states: “Modern veterinarians are not only animal doctors and animal welfare advocates, they are also key to public health, food security, supervision of animal production, food hygiene, controlling zoonoses, monitoring food quality and safety, managing crises, and are involved in biomedical research and protecting the environment and biodiversity.
“They have a significant, but often silent, influence on everybody’s daily life.”
This global competition is open to everyone, regardless of age or nationality (excluding employees and the families of European delegations and the OIE). Budding photographers and seasonal professionals alike can enter by taking a picture that shows a vet at work or in any other situation which portrays the diverse role of vets, and uploading it to www.vetsinyourdailylife.org
Five winners will win €1,000 of photographic equipment, which will be presented during the EU Veterinary Week conference in Brussels, Belgium, on May 19-20. The overall winner (picked from the five) will be announced at the 79th OIE General Session on May 22 in Paris, France, will win an additional €2,000 of photographic equipment.
- Each participant can submit a maximum of 3 images.
- Pictures will be judged according to their relevance to the subject/theme, originality of expression, and aesthetic appeal.
- All participants must register by completing the official entry form.
- All participants must certify that material is their own and copyrights have not been violated.
- Participants must prove that all individuals in the submitted photos have agreed to be used for this purpose. A waiver for this purpose is available from the website.
- All participants must agree to the subsequent use of their photo material by the European Commission and the OIE.
The competition will be open until March 31, 2011. For further details, visit www.vetsinyourdailylife.org