A vet practice has reported what it believes to be three cases of poisoning thought to involve dogs eating rotten food from recycling bins or rubbish bags in eight months.

Mel, Bailey and Paul
Border Vets vet Mel Broad with Bailey and owner Paul Lamb.

In two cases, the animals died, but the third pet – a Staffordshire bull terrier called Bailey – was saved after staff at Border Vets Galashiels made him vomit up three litres of rotten food, along with the remains of biodegradable bags used for food waste.

Uncoordinated

Bailey began trembling and became uncoordinated within 15 minutes of scavenging mouldy food from a rubbish bag after being put outside into his owner’s garden to toilet, prior to bedtime.

Fortunately, the dog’s owners saw what had happened and rushed him to the surgery as an out-of-hours emergency.

Expecting the worse

Vet Mel Broad who, with her team, saved the animal, said Bailey’s body temperature was dangerously high, and that he started fitting.

He was so ill, in fact, his owner was initially told to expect the worst.

With Ms Broad staying by his bedside all night, Bailey has now made a full recovery back at home with his family in Hawick.

Half a dozen cases

Ms Broad said: “We see around half a dozen cases a year like this, and we don’t always know what precisely has been ingested.

“We have now had three similar cases. Tragically, the first two died, but the third was seen eating something in the garden so we were able to definitively link the signs to eating mouldy food.

“If ever there is a suspicion of poisoning, knowing what the animal ate can make all the difference to the outcome because we can give specific treatment. If an owner can bring a sample, it makes our job so much easier.

“We use a fantastic toxicology service that can test food samples, as well as clinical samples, to help narrow down the cause.”

View your activity >

Leave a Reply

1 Comment on "Dog saved after eating rotten food"

Notify of
avatar

Sort by:   newest | oldest | most voted
Silveryjill
Guest
Silveryjill
1 month 20 days ago

It’s almost always fusarium toxin, mouldy cooked rice from discarded takeaways being the main source. We see multiple cases, the food recycling bins really need to be locked if they are dog accessible.

wpDiscuz

related content

The BVA says it is “appalled” at the vote by legislators to reintroduce the tail docking of certain classes of working dogs in Scotland.

4 mins

Research from the RVC has shown brachycephalic dogs are 11 times more susceptible to corneal ulcerative disease compared to non-brachycephalics.

4 mins

Staff from Vets4Pets and Petplan raise hundreds of pounds for Bath Cats and Dogs Home at the charity's annual kennel lock-in.

2 mins

Most practices have emerged from the dark ages, when postcards and the odd phone call were the only ways of communicating with clients. Dr Ernie Ward explains how modern methods are driving revenue growth, enhancing patient care and boosting client satisfaction.

25 mins

Veterinary surgeon Julian Peters has been honoured for decades of “unwavering dedication” to helping animals in need.

4 mins

Two Cambridgeshire-based VNs will brave the heat, mud and exertion this weekend to raise money for a local rescue.

4 mins