The secretary of state has thanked councillors for carrying out an inquiry into the pilot cull.
She told councillors that the scrutiny report and its recommendations would be taken seriously and would play a part in Defra’s future planning of the culls.
Task group chairman, Councillor Paul McMahon told the Stroud News and Journal: “The scrutiny review has uncovered a picture of communities caught in the middle of the tension between those carrying out the cull, farmers, their families, protestors and the police.
“It is essential that there are clear lines of communication with all relevant public agencies so that they are aware of the timing and the area of the cull to allow for planning and preparation. Arrangements should also be in place to make the public aware of the start and end dates of the cull as early as possible”.
Cllr Roger Wilson, Task Group member added: “It is great credit to members of the group that, despite their different backgrounds and interests, they managed to reach unanimous agreement on the recommendations. “Local agencies are already acting upon the task group’s recommendations and lessons have been learnt from the events of last year. It is clearly making a real difference for local people.
“However, central to the recommendations is that there should be a single body providing strategic leadership that takes overall ownership and responsibility for the cull. Defra is best placed to fulfil this role.”
Local agencies have taken steps to protect and support communities in the second year of the cull, which officially began on September 8.
Gloucestershire Constabulary has formed a multi-agency group to share information and has organised drop-in events to reassure local residents.