PDSA has repeated its warning about the dangers of chocolate after a dog from Glasgow became ill when it ate an entire box.

PDSA vet Hannah McIvor with Faith.
PDSA vet Hannah McIvor with Faith.

Three-year-old bichon frise Faith munched her way through a box of mint chocolates after climbing over a pile of presents to get to the toxic treats.

PDSA vet Hannah McIvor said: “Unfortunately, Faith had eaten dark chocolate and lots of it.

“Because it was making her so sick, we had to put her on a drip to keep her fluids up and reduce any damage to her kidneys. We also gave her medicine to help stop her vomiting.

“Thankfully, being sick at home seems to have helped prevent her suffering the worst symptoms and, after being kept in overnight under close observation, she was able to go home again.”

Faith has recovered and the PDSA Pet Aid Hospital Glasgow team hope she will be the final dog they see with chocolate poisoning this Christmas.

The hospital is one of the busiest in the UK, seeing up to 258 animals on any given day.

It costs the charity more than £1.4 million to run each year, met entirely through voluntary donations.

  • For more information about PDSA’s veterinary services, telephone 0800 731 2502 or visit www.pdsa.org.uk
View your activity >

Leave a Reply

Be the First to Comment!

Notify of
avatar

wpDiscuz

related content

Elton the critically endangered Amur tiger became a star of the small screen when his rare dental surgery was captured by a news crew from CBBC's Newsround.

3 mins

Twizzle the Norfolk black turkey, who fell into his owners’ lives after being dropped in their garden, has become the first of his species to be treated at a local small animal practice.

3 mins

The RSPCA has released CCTV footage that captures the moment a lurcher is tied to a fence and abandoned in the hope it will lead to more information.

4 mins

Vet Times is pleased to announce the winner of VN Times’ latest £1,000 Certificate of Veterinary Nursing in Emergency and Critical Care bursary competition.

4 mins

A previously battered bird is back in the air after having its broken wing repaired by the veterinary team at Willows Veterinary Hospital in Hartford.

4 mins

Former pub transformed into “long-awaited” £1.3 million animal hospital sees visitors pour in for official opening

4 mins