Vets Karen Coumbe and Stephen Powles have been named winners of the BVA’s inaugural photography competition after wowing judges with their images.
The duo saw off competition from more than 400 entrants to scoop the top accolades.
An equine vet with more than 30 years’ experience, Dr Coumbe’s photo of a laminitis operation won the “You and your work” category, while a photo of a bat in flight took the crown in the “Wonderful world of animals” category for Mr Powles, who joined the BVA in 1983.
Both winners will receive £250 worth of photography vouchers and see their winning photographs published in the September issue of BVA News. An exclusive exhibition will also be on show at BVA’s Members’ Day in Bristol in September.
BVA president Sean Wensley said: “All the judges were excited to see the photographs our members submitted, documenting the working lives of vets and the veterinary team and capturing the animal world through a vet’s eye.”
As well as the overall winners, four highly commended awards were made in each category. These were:
You and your work
- Snake undergoing anaesthesia by Lucy Crosby
- Cat in consulting room by Pete van Dongen
- Badly injured street dog in Gujarat government run vet clinic by Kalyani Lodhia
- Equine dentistry by Karen Coumbe
The wonderful world of animals
- Tigers Playing by Shareen Akhtar
- Alpaca welcoming newborn herd member by Fiona Smith
- Sparrows in flight by Ali Fakeri (pictured)
- Family of African elephants seeking shade by Siana Douglas-Hamilton
All winners and shortlisted entries can be viewed at www.bva.co.uk/vet-photos-2016