A puppy was almost stitched up by its inquisitive behaviour when it swallowed part of a sewing kit that left it needing surgery.

Puddin x-ray.
The x-ray that revealed Puddin’s sharp snack (click to zoom).

King Charles-bichon cross Puddin was weeks from his first birthday when he ingested a sewing needle and thread.

Baffled

His owner Lynda Ellis from Nuneaton was sewing labels in her daughter’s PE kit when she put the equipment down and went out of the room.

“I came back and was baffled to find the needle and thread I had been using had disappeared. I looked over to Puddin and suddenly realised why.”

Mrs Ellis rang YourVets Nuneaton, but as it was after 8pm, was told she needed to go to the 24-hour clinic in Coventry where he was x-rayed and operated on.

Lucky Puddin

Happy Puddin.
Puddin back to his old self.

YourVet 24 Coventry practice manager Sarah Newall said it was inevitable curious pets would want to taste something different, but she couldn’t imagine a needle being the tastiest of treats.

“The x-ray located the missing needle – thread still intact,” she explained.

“Puddin was lucky the needle didn’t go near his heart, as we could have been looking at a different case all together. Happily, we just needed to retrieve the unusual object and keep him in for a couple of nights to make sure he was okay.”

Puddin returned home later that week and is now on the mend.

View your activity >

Leave a Reply

1 Comment on "Bread and butter op for Puddin"

Notify of
avatar

Sort by:   newest | oldest | most voted
Julie Anne Moran
Guest
3 months 9 days ago

I remember a Siamese cat which was brought in as an emergency gagging- a piece of cotton was wrapped around the back of its tongue and a needle was hanging out of his anus!The rest of the cotton was entangled throughout his bowels.A lengthy operation ensued…and the cat survived-with a large abdominal scar! Julie Anne Moran R.V.N.

wpDiscuz

related content

Elton the critically endangered Amur tiger became a star of the small screen when his rare dental surgery was captured by a news crew from CBBC's Newsround.

3 mins

Twizzle the Norfolk black turkey, who fell into his owners’ lives after being dropped in their garden, has become the first of his species to be treated at a local small animal practice.

3 mins

The RSPCA has released CCTV footage that captures the moment a lurcher is tied to a fence and abandoned in the hope it will lead to more information.

4 mins

Vet Times is pleased to announce the winner of VN Times’ latest £1,000 Certificate of Veterinary Nursing in Emergency and Critical Care bursary competition.

4 mins

A previously battered bird is back in the air after having its broken wing repaired by the veterinary team at Willows Veterinary Hospital in Hartford.

4 mins

Former pub transformed into “long-awaited” £1.3 million animal hospital sees visitors pour in for official opening

4 mins