The Royal Society for the Protection of Cruelty to Animals said it was inundated with complaints over the weekend from people who spotted animals suffering, despite repeated warnings about the dangers.
The Royal Society for the Protection of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA) has hit out at dog owners who left their canines in hot cars over the past weekend after a number of dead pets were pulled from overheated vehicles.
As the temperature rocketed to 90F in some parts of the country, the animal welfare charity said it was “inundated” with hundreds of complaints over the weekend (July 6-7, 2013) from people who spotted animals suffering, despite repeated warnings about the dangers.
The heat also claimed a number of lives. A seven-year-old female Staffordshire bull terrier died after being left in a car outside a pub while the owners had Sunday lunch in Bradford, West Yorkshire, while a two-year-old Rottweiler cross was pulled dead out of a hot car outside their owner’s home in Bury, Greater Manchester. People have been interviewed in both cases.
RSPCA north regional superintendent Martin Marsh said: “The death of those dogs was an avoidable tragedy. Leaving a dog in a hot car has the same kind of effect as putting it in a microwave. They are literally cooked alive, in what is a horrendous death.
“People just aren’t listening. Leaving a window open simply isn’t enough, and in-car temperatures rise quickly, even if it’s cloudy.
“What people need to realise is that the next animal to die in a hot car, conservatory or outbuilding could be their pet – that’s how serious this is.”
According to the RSPCA, owners often make the mistake of thinking it is sufficient to leave a bowl of water or a window open for their pet. But this is not enough, says the charity, as it does not protect them from heatstroke, which can have fatal consequences. Even a hot garden without shade can be disastrous for an animal, it said.