Clicker Training – the possibilities are endless!
This course is available online. Please see below for more details on how to attend this course via the Internet.
Clicker training is a fast, clear, fun way to communicate with animals (and people!). The possibilities are endless! It is based on the scientific principles of learning, and is a humane, positive-only way to teach any learner anything they are physically and mentally capable of, without use of fear, coercion or force. It has been successfully used to train multiple species since the 1940’s, with its popularity growing as the world realises its potential. Learners become an empowered part of the training process, making the trainer and animal equal partners, while both learn and have fun together.
This brand new course from ONCORE will introduce participants to the science behind how and why it works, where it all started, the possibilities for its use, both in the home setting and in veterinary practice. You will then have a chance to get some hands-on practice of the mechanics of clicker training in your own environment, and report back to your tutor for feedback.
By the end of this module, successful candidates will be able to:
- Understand positive reinforcement, as well as the practicalities of its use in practice
- Understand the principles of animal learning theory
- Understand the principles and practicalities of clicker training
- Learn how to use clicker training to capture, shape and target to start a new trained behaviour
- Learn to add a cue, so as to be able to ask for the new behaviour
- Learn how to apply all of the above in practice to help patients and clients
- Gain knowledge of how to impart this information to pet-parents
|Linda Ryan (Roberts) DipAVN (Medical) VTS (Oncology) RVN|
|Karen Pryor Academy Certified Training Partner | Course tutor|
|View Tutor Profile|