Dentistry for Veterinary Nurses
Nurses can play a significant role in the dental health of dogs and cats. This course will cover the common dental diseases seen in practice throughout the life of the pet. It will give practical advice on examining the oral and dental structures efficiently, producing a comprehensive dental chart, taking intra-oral dental X-rays and performing periodontal hygiene procedures (scaling, polishing, sub-gingival debridement). Homecare options will be discussed in detail, and workshop elements will be included to consider the challenges of anaesthetising the dental patient, and creating effective dental clinics.
Specific areas to be covered.
• Recognise common dental problems in all ages of dogs and cats
• Perform effective and safe dental prophylaxis
• Give advice on effective means of homecare
• Identify and manage the challenges of anaesthetising the dental patient
• Take diagnostic dental radiographs