Advancing Your Career as a Lameness Diagnostician
This course will focus on examination and diagnostic work-up of the lame horse. The aim is to provide an excellent platform from which to progress your skills in diagnostic investigation of the lame horse.
We will consider the assessment of the lame horse from clinical examination, dynamic evaluation, and diagnostic anaesthesia techniques. The format will be a mix of lectures and practical sessions covering basic and advanced diagnostic techniques including an interactive “wet-lab” session demonstrating the approaches to various peri-neural and intra-articular blocks. We will include some case examples with lameness videos and discussion of the challenges of the lameness evaluation.
- Clinical examination of the lame horse: how much does it tell us?
- Dynamic assessment of the lame horse and the role of manipulative tests
- Indications for diagnostic anaesthesia (including mechanisms of action/contraindications)
- An update on diagnostic anaesthesia of the foot and proximal metacarpus/ metatarsus
- Introduction to diagnostic anaesthesia of the upper limb
- diagnostic anaesthesia
- perineural and intra-synovial
- Limb dissection